CULT [kuhlt] noun : refers to a cohesive social group and their devotional beliefs or practices, which the surrounding population considers to be outside of mainstream cultures.

INDIVIDUALITY [in-duh-vij-oo-al-i-tee] noun : the state or quality of being an individual; a person separate from other persons and possessing his or her own needs, goals, and desires.

CULT OF INDIVIDUALITY : A group of people with the same ideals of being true to themselves by not doing, acting, or pursuing what others think they should. Reaching that level of comfort with self where you can acknowledge, respect, and appreciate other people's tastes and styles, while never imposing your own judgement. Belonging to a crew where diversity and being different is not only welcomed, but encouraged.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, March 18, 2012

When a Fashion Show is more than a Catwalk

Most people are accustomed to runways show sets, music and merchandise to create an overall mood of the presentation.  However, Louis Vuitton took it a step further for their Spring 2012 Collection.  Their show featured a larger than life Merry-Go-Round, with their models already sitting on the horses, as the fixture spun around to whimsical music that is very reminescent to the sounds heard from our childhood 'Jack in the Box' toys.  The show was a great reflection of their line which possessed a soft, feminine and innocent like quality.  It should be mentioned that Alexander McQueen did a carousel like idea back in 2001, however his theme displayed darker tones with the models wearing clown make-up, as seen in children's parties.  This is not surprising since McQueen's shows are known to take this type of fashion presentation to the next level.  I've inserted the LV video along with a quick glimpse of the McQueen Show.

Louis Vuitton, Spring 2012 Fashion Show

Fun Fact: Vanessa is petrified of clowns!

Alexander McQueen 2001, What a Merry-Go-Round

6 comments:

  1. I have to say that this fashion show is stunning. I’ve seen all of pictures from the LV show through style.com before, but I didn’t check out this video because I found that the clothes were a bit boring. I didn’t realize that representing the garments is such an important process. It definitely feels different when I watch the entire show rather than just looking at pictures of the clothes. I am sure that LV would have received a lot of attention from people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to start off by saying that I too am TERRIFIED of clowns - LOL!

    Back to fashion- I remember reading about this LV show in the press last year and I just had to check it out. It truly was a beautiful presentation of the clothes. I am very jealous of the models and the audience members that were able to be in attendance of this show.Like I stated in my blog, no matter how over the top the presentation of these shows may be (Alexander McQueen's show is a great example), you never lose sight of what the show is all about- the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, absolutely loved this show. I like my fashion a little weird, and I thought this was an interesting way to present fashion. Although my grievances (most likely misdirected) lie in how similar it was to Jacob's show with the giant paper box. Either way, it was lovely.

    chloeandcoke.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must have been the girliest girly girl, and if you were to ask six-year-old me what a fantasy carousel would be like, it would be that: soft music that reminds me of my nicest toys, pretty frocks the color of cotton candy, and pretty white horses to ride on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To me, this show is a the essential of the Paris fashion week fro Spring 2012. All the trends of the season are there and the show itself includes the key point of a successful fashion show: DREAM!

    ReplyDelete