CULT [kuhlt] noun : refers to a cohesive social group and their devotional beliefs or practices, which the surrounding population considers to be outside of mainstream cultures.

INDIVIDUALITY [in-duh-vij-oo-al-i-tee] noun : the state or quality of being an individual; a person separate from other persons and possessing his or her own needs, goals, and desires.

CULT OF INDIVIDUALITY : A group of people with the same ideals of being true to themselves by not doing, acting, or pursuing what others think they should. Reaching that level of comfort with self where you can acknowledge, respect, and appreciate other people's tastes and styles, while never imposing your own judgement. Belonging to a crew where diversity and being different is not only welcomed, but encouraged.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Seeing Beauty through the eye of the B-Logger

#1 Sincerely, Jules

Coat: Gryphon (Bib + Tuck) | Blouse: MYNE | Shorts: Johnson | Clutch: Claire Vivier | Sneakers: Jack Purcell Converse | Prescription Glasses: Warby Parker

Faux fur vest: Thrifted (cool ones here & here)  | Dress: H&M | Oxfords: GAP | Bag: Miu Miu |

Skirt: f21 | Leopard Print Shoes: gifted 80%20 | Bag: Alexander Wang

Clutch: Emily Cho c/o Bib + Tuck | Blouse: gifted d.RA | Sweater: my Beloved | Jeans: gifted Kasil x Taylor Jacobson

After looking at shots from my favorite blog, Sincerely Jules, its not hard to tell that I an a fan of streetwear, a genre of fashion in which no rules need apply.  The variety of textures, prints, styles and layers are properly pulled together in every shot, bringing a new fresh look to the portfolio.  Jules does a great job of placing together vintage, high fashion and affordable pieces, and conveniently lists each and every brand, design and retailer her pieces come from.  Her style is so recognized that designers and retailers send this Blogger new pieces to pair with her wardrobe to market their new products.


#2 Justina Blakeney
Upcycled Shutters


Ethnic Print Inspiration

Creative Ideas for the Home

I'd be lying to you if I told you that I didn't enjoy flipping through home interior magazines to catch sight of the amazing set ups that are featured in those magazines, however I haven't reached the level of success where any of it is practical.  Although those publications inspire creativity, I take more pleasure in home fashion finds that are affordable, attainable, and if they are environmentally conscious, the better.  Jusina Blakeny pulls resources from the web as well as from her own personal work and posts to her blog for the world to take note and try themselves.


#3 Dapper Lou



Chains: Mateo Bijoux, Spring 2011

Shoes: Jay Hawker Boots from Cole Haan

 I have a great appreciation for menswear, however with all my time devoted to keeping up with women's fashion, it will come as no surprise that I tend to neglect men's fashion trending.  When I'm not looking at the sartorialist, I follow Dapper Lou, a fashion photographer, who also takes to the streets to capture current street fashion, specifically for men.  What particularly draws me to Dapper Lou's site is that he also features lookbooks and current men's fashion products.  This proved to be  extremely helpful with ideas when I was styling a photoshoot last year and I was at a lost as to how to accessorize my client.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Vanessa,

    I like the play on words in the title of your blog: "cult," which insinuates a collective; and "individuality," which celebrates uniqueness. Great paradox!

    I always liked observing street style, but I find it to be extremely difficult to blog. I like the idea of being sort of a clearing house of various blogs. Great start!

    ReplyDelete